Wednesday 9 October 2013

Technical Acheivements

My laptop is now back up and working wonderfully.

Yeay!

I am however, fighting a cold.   But that's secondary.

Because my laptop died, I needed some way to access the internet for work.   I've been meaning to buy a tablet computer for a while now, so my laptop not working (plus having the paycheque to actually pay for this tablet) meant that I had the impetus to actually go -get- a tablet.

I quite like it.  More then I thought I would.

I don't like the touch-screen keyboard, but as a small note-taking device/portable day planner/to-do list/portable knitting library it works great!

However, I had one puzzle to figure out, and having figured it out, I thought I would share.

Most of my digital knitting patterns are in PDF format.  That was easy. All I had to do was to download the PDF reader app.

However, some of my patterns are websites (the two that come immediately to mind are the DROPS pattern site and the Knitty E-zine.)  Now don't get me wrong, I love both those sites.  But I didn't bother to pay for data on my tablet.  Data is absurdly expensive for what you get here in Canada, and most places do have available wi-fi.

This did mean, however, that I couldn't access the pattern websites when I was somewhere without wi-fi, like, for example, on the subway.

Now, on my computer, my work-around was simple -- I just saved the entire web page with the pattern I wanted to my hard drive.  That means that in case the website was down, or eventually expires, I still have the pattern saved.  But you can't do that on a mobile device -- at least, not easily.

What you can do, however, is use the Mozilla Firefox Mobile Browser, and use its 'Save as PDF' function.  This allows you to save a web page as a PDF, which then can be read off-line.

Puzzle solved!   I have to admit to finding this quite a useful little feature! 

No comments:

Post a Comment